Wednesday, December 23, 2009

My Top Movies of The Decade

These films moved me. They changed me. They changed our culture. Long live the past ten years.


Runner Up: Slumdog Millionare (2008) I know, I know this really SHOULD be on the list and you may not understand why others are there when this one is not. The simple answer, I loved this movie, but it didn't redefine anything in my life. Fantastic film though.





10. Legally Blonde (2001) This film easily was the Clueless of this generation. Fun, funny, and a film you walk away from genuinely happy. This has inspired a feature film sequel, at least two more straight to dvd sequels, a Broadway musical, and a reality TV show about the casting process for that aforementioned musical. You may not be any smarter by watching this film, but you sure as heck loved Elle Woods... I know you did. I was bend-and-snapping my way through high school.



9. Man on Wire (2008) This gripping documentary is both whimsical and empowering. The beauty of Felipe's walk across the haunting Twin Towers in New York City strikes up the rebellious dreamer's spirit in all of us. Felipe repeats again and again that he felt that those towers were built just for him, and after a while, you believe that must be true. Felipe will captivate you and if you let him, he will inspire you to do equally as beautiful things in your own life. We at Invisible Children say that our Man on Wire moment was ending up on Oprah this past May. It's true. Seriously. That really was impossible.


8.The Departed (2006) Few things are better in a movie than being taken by surprise. This ever changing plot line kept you on your toes the entire time. With a cast that cannot be topped and some "wicked awesome" Boston accents you loved this film, how could you not? As a proper "dude's" movie this one gets major props for winning my distinctly feminine heart. The story is just so good that even I was swinging my fists at the TV.



7. The Science of Sleep (2006) I really am not that romantic. So I tend to vomit at movies that rely on a romantic buy-in. Thankfully, this one did not. I watched this film on the fateful night of a break-up and as I numbly stared at the TV letting the events of my horrible evening soak in, I couldn't have asked for a better film. Stephane is a mess. An international mess to be exact. He stumbles over his own thoughts all the time and it paralyzes him. He feels like a failure. You, the viewer, love him, but he will have no idea that he is lovable. For that, I will always be grateful for this character. Stephane draws out the confused child hidden deep within all of us. He's an honest portrait of our brokenness and Michel Gondry paints this portrait in some of the most stunning shots I've ever seen. At moments this film feels over the top, but at other moments, it stops you in your tracks. Compassion for Stephane and hopefully for yourself leaves you silenced.

6.Y Tu Mama Tambien (2001) The love for Gael Garcia Bernal continues. This film is the most sexually provocative film I think I've ever watched. This coming of age story is perhaps even more compelling due to the fact that it's set in another country. By overthrowing my stereotypes of Mexico and focusing on the beauty and pain of growing up... anywhere in the world, really... this film becomes a fantastic work of art. It's a story for the mature, but it will help you become that much more mature in the process of watching it as well.



5. Anchorman (2004) Simply put, if a film becomes more appealing each time you watch it, it wins. Will Ferrell at his comic best. The perfect script to be quoted by college co-eds everywhere. And San Diego as a starring role is also one of the movie's best characters (perhaps I'm biased). This movie is stupid. The plot is stupid. The characters are stupid. The script is stupid. And I loved it more than any other stupid comedy of this decade.


4. The Dark Knight (2008) To be honest, I don't remember too much about this movie, but I remember that I loved it through and through. Heath Ledger deserved the Oscar unequivocally since he is pretty much all that I walked away from this film remembering. So, for his role to be the only thing I remember about this film, but for me to still put it as #4, it's obviously that this was one hell of a role. All things Hollywood in this film, but in all the right ways. I can't imagine a comic-inspired film ever being any better than this one proved to be.

3. Into The Wild (2007) This is the only time that I can remember a film being more impressive than its book counterpart. Jon Krakauer took Christopher McCandless' story and reported all the facts. Sean Penn took the story and made it into an incredible piece of art. I had such a loving affection for Alexander Supertramp (Christopher McCandless) and his idealism. I saw myself in him. I saw my anger and my dreams. And even though I would never have half the bravery to live out my beliefs in such an extreme way, I wished that I could have. This film did inspire an impromptu trip to Salvation Mountain in the Imperial Valley; an inspiring location that could merit its own film. Since I frequently pull scenes from this film into weight towards my own decision making, the wisdom from this film must be approaching Proverbs-like status. Blasphemy much?

2. Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 (2003-2004) I'm aware of the fact that these are two separate films and I know that many people would say that Volume 1 was the gem of the two. I would completely disagree. As someone who cannot excuse a film as "good" unless the plot is also up to par (you should hear me rip apart Across the Universe or Where The Wild Things Are for their failures to deliver substantial plot-lines), I would assert that this film is ONLY good in the context of both volumes being viewed as one film. Fortunately for me, I have only watched these films as one unit. The plot seems simple: kill Bill. Yet how could such a basic task lead to such a beautiful and shocking path? Well, Tarantino is obviously one of a kind. This movie has exactly what I love in films, dark (yes, sadistic) comedy, crazy plot twists, compelling characters, love, hate, and an unsettling ending. To me, this combination is genius because it is both reflective our own broken world yet also a psychotic escape for the viewer from this mediocrity we call "every day." Oh, and I now have a girl crush on Uma Thurman.

1. Little Miss Sunshine (2006) My first memory of this film is one where I am sitting in a crowded "artsy" theatre next to my aunt who is laughing so hard at the characters running after their VW bus that she's also crying uncontrollably. A film that is an experience for you because you bond with those you care about in life is a film that you will always hold near and dear to your heart. This quirky comedy about all the dysfunctions families bring out in each other is one that you should watch with your own dysfunctional family. It also doesn't hurt that it's set smack dab in the lands I've called home, a corner of the world that I consider to be one of the most stunning. Through the laughs, this film is ultimately about love. And through my laughs I learned to love my own family more and for that I will be eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment